Monday, December 4, 2017

Thanksgiving /Christmas

     I wanted to try something new and make jellied cranberry sauce (the kind you slice) from scratch and can it for thanksgiving this year. Unfortunately while what I made was tasty it did not gel properly. It's more like a jam than a jelly. It was great on toast and I actually found a good use for it. I've decided to try my hand at making macaron. I'm going to make a red cookie with a ring of whipped frosting and the cranberry "jam" as the filling. Very festive and cute. Hopefully also tasty.
     I also made a caramel sauce and that did turn out pretty well. Not as smooth as I would have hoped but it looks mostly like it should and tastes great. I found a recipe for salted caramel popcorn macarons so I'll probably use it as filling for that as well as dipping apples.
   
     I'm starting my Christmas baking this week. I'm making 2 (maybe 3) kinds of macarons, sea salt vanilla caramels (which I made last year and were very popular) and peppermint patties. I will make the peppermint patties first and freeze them until Christmas because those will do well frozen. I'll make the macarons probably 2-3 days before Christmas and store them in the refrigerator. The caramels will be a day or so before. They are super quick and easy.
     I've got 95% of my Christmas shopping done, wrapped, and under the tree. What I have left to buy is gift cards and I can buy them all at Target and put them in little gift bags. We are decorating today and I can't wait until my kiddos see it. This is going to be a great Christmas.
     I will definitely have a new post next week because I'm going to a hockey game and we got a suite! It will be so much fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment